The hair on our heads does way more than we give it credit for. Outside of adorning our appearance, it also helps insulate our bodies when it’s cold, and it keeps us cool and regulated when it’s hot. Since it acts as a barrier between our skin and the sun’s rays, our hair can take on a lot of damage if not properly protected.
Overexposure to the sun effects the protective barrier of natural oils we all have on our scalp by causing blood vessels to dilate and become inflamed. This damage can cause hair follicles to switch off growth and enter the shedding phase, which leads to … hair loss!
Here are seven tips on what you can do to keep your hair, scalp and follicles healthy and growing strong this summer:
- Try wearing a hat. It will not only keep your scalp, hair and skin happy, but will also help keep you cooler by creating shade.
- Try massaging Zinc Oxide sunblock cream onto the areas of your scalp that are exposed due to thinning hair.
- You can apply sun protection directly to the hair also. Sometimes, the same products you use for your face and body will work in the hair.
- Use natural oils like avocado, coconut or olive oil. They deliver natural shine and offer some protection.
- When you are at the beach or pool, try combing a restorative conditioner like our Renewing Argon Oil Conditioner in wet hair, then throw it up in a bun to create a barrier from the UV rays and keep hair hydrated.
- Prevent damage with a Mask like our Renewing Argon Oil Hair Mask once a week to retain moisture.
- Cut back on shampoo sessions. The oil your hair naturally produces protects it from the sun, so you don’t want to over-wash during the warmer months.