The 4 Seasons of Hair
Just like our skin, our haircare routines should also adjust with the seasons. Different weather affects our hair differently. Read below for some tips on keeping your hair healthy all year round.
- Hair Oil Is Your Best Friend! The cold air in the winter can make your scalp dry and itchy due to the lack of moisture in the air. This can result in scalp irritation and flakes. A hot oil massage with oils like argan oil, coconut oil or olive oil will help keep your scalp and hair moisturized.
- Washing too much can also dry out your hair and scalp, so try to avoid frequent hair washes. If you can, try to keep the washes down to two times a week with a Sulfate free shampoo like our Biotin infused shampoo.
- Never skip conditioning or masks during the winter. Using conditioners and masks like our Biotin infused hair care line will help keep hair hydrated, moisturized and healthy. When conditioning, be sure to concentrate on the ends to help prevent dryness and split ends.
- If you use hated styling tools, keep the temps a little lower than you would at other times of the year. Using high heat on heated styling tools during the winter can make your hair brittle, making it more prone to breakage.
- Don’t go out with wet hair. Cold air expands the hair shafts, making them prone to breakage. It could also cause your color to fade.
- You can also use a hat or a scarf to cover your hair when you go outside to keep your hair from getting stressed. Using a silk scarf, or lining your hat with a silk scarf will also help prevent static.
- Take luke warm, not hot showers. Hot water can remove the natural oils and moisture from your hair. It may also dry out the scalp and cause flakiness. Give a cold-water blast at the end to seal the cuticles.
- Since heaters, which dry out the air, are a must during the winter months you need a way to combat that dryness and keep the moisture in the air. We recommend a humidifier to help balance out the moisture levels inside and help prevent dryness.
- Fight Spring frizz by using a serum like our Biotin Infused Hair Serum or our Infinity Drops. They will help deal in the moisture and smooth the cuticles.
- Detangle your hair before your shower. Detangling hair when dry, rather than wet, will cause less breakage.
- Wash hair thoroughly after any beach or pool day to remove any chemicals or salt build up. While salt is great for texture it will lighten your color and chlorine sitting on your hair baking in the sun is a recipe for disaster.
- A healthy scalp is the base for healthy hair. Use a clarifying shampoo to keep the scalp healthy and remove any build up.
- Spring clean your styling tools. Clean your styling tools thoroughly to remove any product build up and get rid of any tools that you are no longer using.
- Now that the cold weather has passed, consider a trim to remove any dry or damaged ends.
- The sun can be torture for the hair so try using a scarf or a hat to keep hair protected when out in the sun. This will not only provide protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays, it will also help your scalp retain moisture.
- Restrict yourself to lose, rather than tight hairstyles. Tight hairstyles can damage the hair because they pull and tear the hair. This is even more detrimental to hair that is dry from the sun and summer heat.
- Wash less and condition more. Frequent washing can strip your hair of its natural oils stimulating more oil production and causing your hair to look greasy, making you feel like you need to wash more. If this happens, try using a dry shampoo to soak up the additional oil.
- Summer is another time of the year when you want to reduce the heat. Try keeping the temps on your styling tools a little lower than you would at other times of the year. Using high heat on heated styling tools during the Summer can make your hair brittle and cause breakage.
- Run your hands through your hair after you apply sunscreen to your body. This will help give an additional layer of UV protection.
- Use a wide tooth comb to detangle hair, rather than a brush, and never when hair is wet. When hair’s wet it is very susceptible to breakage and splitting.
- Use a leave-in conditioner like our Truffle Leave-In Conditioner or our Infinity Drops. They will help keep hair hydrated without weighing hair down, add moisture and shine, and help to prevent split ends and breakage.
- Look into getting a satin or silk pillow case. They help reduce friction and will help with frizz and static.
- Keep your curls moisturized and hydrated. Colder weather can easily disturb curly hair so it’s important to provide extra moisture. Weekly hair masks like our Color Safe Keratin Hair Mask can keep your locks hydrated and happy.
- If you are going to use heated styling tools make sure you are also using a heat protectant to help hair from getting dried out or damaged.
- Wash your hair once a month with a clarifying shampoo to remove any build-up and unclog follicles.